Use Primary Functions and Applications of a Tablet (Digital Citizen Tablet Fundamentals)
Course Reference Number
Funding Validity Period
Till 30 Jun 2019
Mode of Training
This module sets out essential concepts and skills relating to the use of tablets to browse and search the web, work with images and video, manage applications, and store data securely.On completion of this module the candidate will be able to:
– Understand the features of a tablet and its uses.
– Carry out common operations, apply settings, and secure a tablet.
– Use a wireless network securely, and set up online accounts for different services.
– Use a web browser to browse, search for, and bookmark web pages.
– Capture, view, organise and share images and videos.
– Use an application store, and install and update applications.
– Recognise backup and storage options for a tablet, and use cloud-based storage.
This course is intended for learners with little or no knowledge in using tablets to complete basic tasks in browsing the Internet.
The learner must be able to read, write, speak and understand English (Work Place Literacy Level 4 – lower secondary level).
1. Tablet Concepts
1.1 Key Concepts
- Define the term tablet and recognise common tablets.
- Identify the physical components of the tablet like: touchscreen, cameras, power connector, on/off button, volume button, memory slot, headphone jack, speakers, microphone, dock connector.
- Recognise advantages like: portability, light weight, high resolution screen, touchscreen, web accessibility.
- Recognise disadvantages like: small screen size, limited storage capacity, fragility, easier to steal.
- Recognise that the utility of tablets can be enhanced by connecting to other devices like: printers, drives, video, keyboard, mouse.
- Identify common tablet adaptors for input/output ports like: USB, HDMI, VGA.
- Recognise that a tablet is supplied with accessories like: USB cable, charging adapter, getting started pamphlets and guides.
1.2 Tablet Uses
- Recognise uses of a tablet like: email, VOIP, online collaboration, enterprise applications, social media, picture/video capture, web browsing, games, mapping and route planning, online booking and reservations, online shopping, book/magazine reading.
- Identify typical uses of tablets in the home and in different sectors like: education, healthcare, retail, sales, marketing, logistics.
2. Getting Started
2.1 Common Operations
- Start up, shut down tablet.
- Unlock home screen.
- Identify the main gestures to use the touch screen like: touch, double-tap, long-press, swipe, pinch, spread.
- Identify the main types of icons found on the home screen like: applications, widgets, notifications, status, search, shortcuts.
- Identify some of the main ways to input data into a tablet such as: virtual keyboard, predictive text, voice recognition, stylus.
- Restart, reset a non-responding tablet.
2.2 Tools and Settings
- Select and move icons.
- Change configuration settings: date, time, volume, background, resolution.
- Recognise tablet energy saving practices: turn off, power saving, airplane mode, backlight, sleep mode.
- Be aware of the importance of securing a tablet to prevent security issues like: identify theft, loss of personal, financial data.
- Secure a tablet using a lock screen like: face unlock, trace pattern, pin number, password.
- Be aware of emergency and precautionary measures if a device is lost like: remote disable, remote wipe, locate device.
3. Networks, Accounts
3.1 Network Connections
- Define the term Wi-Fi. Outline the purpose of a Wi-Fi network: to wirelessly share, access data and devices securely online.
- Connect to a wireless network.
- Recognise the status of a wireless network: protected/secure, open.
- Understand the term Bluetooth.
- Understand the term personal hotspot.
3.2 Account Creation
- Create an account with an online services provider like: e-mail, online storage, social media.
- Understand that information on a tablet is synchronised with information from an online account.
4. Web Browsing and Search
4.1 Using the Web Browser
- Open, close a web browser.
- Open, close a web page.
- Enter a URL in the address bar and go to the URL.
- Refresh a web page, stop a web page downloading.
- Navigate between pages: backwards, forwards.
- Activate a hyperlink.
- Show previously visited URLs using history.
- Open, close tabs, windows. Switch between tabs, windows.
4.2 Tools and Settings
- Understand the importance of removing redundant personal data. Delete history, temporary internet files, saved form data.
- Understand the term cookie. Allow, block cookies.
- Define the term search engine and name some common search engines.
- Carry out a search using a keyword, phrase.
- Add, show, delete a bookmark.
- Add a web page to the home screen.
5. Working with Images, Video
5.1 Capturing, Viewing Images, Videos
- Use the camera to create an image, video.
- Take a screenshot.
- Use the photo/gallery application to view images, video.
- Organise images, videos using the photo/gallery application.
5.2 Image Manipulation
- Crop, resize, rename, rotate an image.
- Share pictures, videos using options like: e-mail, messaging, social media, Bluetooth.
6.1 Application Stores
- Define the term application store.
- Register with an application store.
- Search for applications.
- Recognise different categories of application like: utilities, communication, games, business, education, productivity, news.
- Install a free application, paid application.
6.2 Managing an Application
- Update an application.
- Remove an installed application.
- Recognise types of storage media like: device memory, memory card storage, cloud-based storage.
- Recognise the importance of having a backup procedure in case of loss of data from a tablet.
- Recognise that data stored on a tablet should be backed up automatically to an online storage area, manually to an external drive.
7.2 Using Storage
- View available storage like: device memory, memory card storage, cloud-based storage.
- Use cloud-based storage to upload, download, delete, share online files and folders.
View Course Dates
||Nett Fee after Funding (Incl. GST)